Sunday 5 June 2016

The last post - well, for a little while as a new blog needs writing...

Hi Everybody,
As an Occupational Therapist of knocking on almost 15 years - I've picked up some useful habits and maybe a few not so useful ones. Being reminded to reflect, analyse, question and consider the use of language carefully have all been things my professional experience has helped me to develop. However, sometimes searching for understanding in a situation isn't really necessary. I do think a little reflection might be a good way to bring this blog to temporary end right now.

My career to date has taken me quite literally around the world and brought me a truly global set of friends, colleagues and inspirations. New Zealand continues to be the latest chapter of this journey, and oh it's been an amazing 4 years here so far. My top memories from an adventurous point of view have to be:
1) The Tongariro Crossing - best day walk ever!
Tongariro Crossing crew

Tongariro views..

2) Exploring the Wonders of Wellington - summer concerts & salsa
Bays of Wellington

Kapiti Coast - Wellington

Wellington Bays

3) Snowy mountains in both the North & South Islands.
Mount Doom - North Island
 
Queenstown - South Island

4) Sailing in a cowboy suit with my OT Supervisee!
Random NZ Moments



Aye aye Captain Paula

5) OT National Conferences & Presenting on 'Tall Poppy' Syndrome (@ WFOT, Japan)
My Fave presentation team - OT Conference 2013

Wellington MH OT's..


Taking Tall Poppy NZ to Japan

I could go on, however the point I'd like to make is about keeping an open mind for the opportunities life might throw your way - as you just never know what's around the corner. New Zealand doesn't hold the same level of craziness of other places I've lived like Romania & Vietnam, but it does have it's own special lure of randomness and beauty.

From a professional perspective, the journey has been no less lively and interesting with 3 years in Community mental health, further cross-cultural learnings and then a move to the private sector and the realisation that our knowledge as health professionals is highly valued outside of the health sector. There's so much we can bring to so many settings and offering a fresh and different perspective to private business - it's quite refreshing. We needn't be afraid of what we don't know. Let's feel good about shouting from the rooftops (in a pleasant, down to earth, melody) - as we 'know stuff' - 'real stuff' as a friend of mine recently commented to me. 

My desire for cross-cultural learnings continue too. The best, funniest and most memorable moments of my career to date have come when I've been at odds with other people and then had to try and see the other person's perspective to understand the difference in opinion. So to all those that have joined this journey through email, in person, in NZ or elsewhere in the world - keep at it. 
The next adventure is perhaps the biggest one I've faced - and one I really know the least about - parenting a baby! I'll be writing about this on www.otdantheparent.blogspot.com

Come follow the ultimate adventure with an OT twist. We'll hopefully get back to a more comical view of the new world! Always happy to take emails about anything NZ related too.

For the final time (for a while)
Regards from New Zealand.
Dan

3 comments:

  1. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. The article is nice and it’s pleasant to read. I have known very important things over here. Thank you so much for this post.

    Drive Fitness Assessment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this site. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade content by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own, personal blog now..
    777 Oil
    Psorolin Ointment
    Psorolin Oil
    Psorolin Medicated Bathing Bar
    S.I.V.A Herbal Drops

    ReplyDelete